Looking back and forward to see where we are now
Tom Limoncelli has a long interesting history in which he's seen our industry from different crucial perspectives (Lucent, Lumeta, Google, StackExchange, USENIX, Velocity). Tom joins John and Damon to chat about the history and future of systems administration, SREs, and operations as a craft/culture. Tom's books and community involvement are also discussed.
- Interested in DevOps and Networking? John is heading up a great new event called DevOps 4 Networks on October 14 in Mountain View, CA. The lineup is all-star. Tickets are free, but limited.
- Enterprise DevOps Conference is coming up on Oct 21-23 in San Francisco.
- Get 20% off individual tickets with code: DEVOPSCAFE20
- Get 30% off groups of 5 or more with code: 5MICRO30 (when 5 from same company use this code they each get refunded 30%)
- Tom blogs at EverythingSysAdmin.com
- Tom brought up Ben Traynor's excellent talk on defining the SRE role
- For a secret discount on Tom's books go to this link!
- We discussed Tom's new book, The Practice of Cloud System Administration, and described it as a "great survey course" of how to build and run services using Cloud and DevOps best practices
- We also brought up Tom's earlier books, The Practice of System and Network Administration and Time Management for System Administrators
- Tom works for StackExchange
- Damon works for SimplifyOps and DTO Solutions
- John is an entrepreneur in residence at Pacific Crest
Please leave comments or questions below and we'll read them on the show!